Tuesday, June 30, 2009

For Whom the Bell Tolls

I have to relate a funny story. Lately I have been going out at night, looking for moths and other insects that fly to the meager outdoor lights here in South Deerfield, Massachusetts. Ok, I have two funny stories, now that I think about it.

The first night I went out looking, I stopped at two banks to prowl around their well-lit ATM and drive-through areas respectively. Naturally, I was stopped by the cops who had received reports of someone with a camera taking pictures of the banks. I eased their fears, and after a computer check I was on my way….Hey, can I help it if banks and the post office are the best-lit buildings in town? Geesh, you don’t have to make a federal case out of it. Well, come to think of it, I guess you do!

Last night I got a start of a different sort. Yet another nicely-lit building is our local library, located right next to a church complete with a bell tower. The library has a wonderful bright light, not one of those non-insect-attracting-good-for-nothing yellow sodium fixtures. Unfortunately, it is located about twenty feet up the side of the building. Thank goodness for the twenty power zoom on my Canon PowerShot SX10 IS.

I had found a neat moth to take an image of, which was apparently at precisely 11:30 PM because, just as I was about to press the shutter…DONG!!! Once my head quit rattling and my heart started again, I got the shot. I guess that will teach me to stay up so late on a work day.

1 comment:

  1. I nearly spit tea on my keyboard laughing at your retelling of your experiences. Too funny. I especially love the image of the church bell. Who knew bug hunting could be so frightening? Sounds like you are having fun, just try not to get arrested.

    ReplyDelete

Blog author currently unable to reply to reader comments, nor comment himself. Working to resolve this.